Asking the right hair color consultation questions will help you to build a relationship with your new client, while also making it easier to get color results that your clients love.
What You Will Learn
In this article, we’ll take a look at the important questions to ask and techniques you can use in order to foster effective, open communication during a hairdressing consultation.
Jump to The Section You Like
How To Do Hair Color Consultations Well?
Hair consultations are an important event in any stylist/ client relationship, and color is no exception. This is an opportunity to get to know new clients (and deepen your understanding of existing ones), give them personalized service and make recommendations.
This might sound like a big ask for a relatively brief amount of time, but it’s easier that it sounds. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your hair consultation and accurately assess their needs:
Set Aside Time
Don’t try to do this while they’re already in the chair and you’re staring at them in the mirror. A stylist should work this into their schedule, greeting clients with a warm welcome and sitting down with them at eye level to have a conversation.
Consider Digital Consultations
If you’re worried about the salon being too busy, or a client having already made up their mind before they arrive, try scheduling a zoom call for a virtual hair color consultation a few days before the appointment, and send them a digital consultation form they can think about and fill out online.
Ask Open and Closed Questions
While closed questions can be answered yes or no, open questions let clients spend more time answering in detail. They can explain their hair history and needs. One example is “What colors have you had your hair in the past?”
Make eye contact with your client. Respond to what they say and ask follow-up questions. You want to make them feel valued as a person, while also gaining insight into their hair color needs.
Watch Body Language
What are their facial expressions and posture telling you? Do they lean forward in interest, seem confident or shift uncomfortably?
Promote any Special Services
This is the time to let your salon shine. Many stylists use this as an opportunity to make recommendations or promote special hair color care products to help maintain the results after the appointment is over. If you specialize in techniques like color melting or balayage, this is a great time to mention that.
Use a Consultation Form
Don’t rely purely on memory- a hair consultation form looks more professional and makes it easier to record client’s hair information later. You can even send them a digital form beforehand to fill out. Don’t forget to record everything in your salon software’s client database when you’re done.
Do not miss our post on How to Talk to Clients in the Salon.
Ask for Pictures
Encourage your client to download or cut out photos of the color they want, then use these as a talking point during the appointment.
We also recommend you to check out our post Salon Questionnaire for Clients.
Do not miss our post on facial consent form.
Top 25 Hair Color Consultation Questions
Pay attention to the questions you ask or put onto your hair color consultation form. They should help you get an idea of a client’s past haircare (helping to avoid any further damage caused by overprocessing) as well as their current and future goals.
Here are the top 25 hair consultation questions when it comes to color:
- How would you describe your hair today?
- Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a hair treatment or color, in the past?
- What are you currently doing to keep your hair healthy?
- How often do you wash your hair?
- How often do you color your hair?
- What are your go-to hair care products right now?
- Do you ever use a blow dryer or heat styling tools?
- Are you trying to grow your hair out?
- How do you usually part your hair?
- Do you always style it like this?
- Tell me about your hair’s history.
- What was your best hair color ever, and why?
- Describe the results you want.
- Are you preparing for a special occasion, or just trying something new?
- Do you want your color to stand out, or be more subtle?
- Are there any colors that you strongly dislike?
- Are there any colors that you wish you could try?
- Are you planning to keep this color long-term, or change it later?
- In the photo you showed me, there is more than one color. Which shade did you want, or do you want a combination of both?
- Do you mostly wear your hairstyle up, or down?
- How much time are you willing to spend on maintenance visits?
- This might take multiple sessions. Is that okay?
- How do you feel about roots or regrowth?
- Are you confident with everything we’ve discussed?
- Have you noticed any dryness in your hair? I can recommend a deep conditioning treatment to help keep it healthy after we’re done coloring.
Learn more how to build salon clientele.
Everyone’s hairstyle and color choice reflects their unique style and personality, and this is why asking the right hairdressing color consultation questions is key to getting the results each person wants.
We hope that our hair color consultation questions and the tips we’ve provided make it easier for you and your clients to create the looks they’re aiming for, while also boosting trust and communication.
Evaluating Factors for Customer Churn of Hairdressing Industry Based on Modified Delphi Method https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8448659/
Hairdressing. Theoary, Science and Practice http://llrc.mcast.edu.mt/digitalversion/Table_of_Contents_133885.pdf
Relationship Between Client Satisfaction, Service Quality and Client Perception Towards the Effectiveness of Client Consultation Services https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jati_Kasuma/publication/344506708