Looking at becoming a hair stylist? Then check out our detailed hair stylist job description to know what responsibilities the role has and which skills or qualifications it requires. If you are a salon owner or manager, knowing how to write a hair stylist job description will come in handy in your recruitment process.
Hair Stylist Job Description
- Welcome clients to the salon
- Analyze the style of the client, their facial features vs. current hairstyles trends
- Listen to the client's request and make recommendations to the final agreement
- Analyze the condition of the hair and prepare for styling
- Wash, rinse, and dry clients’ hair using appropriate shampoos and conditioners (e.g. for oily hair)
- Give relaxing scalp massage when washing hair
- Conditioning of hair and scalp by applying nutrient treatments
- Design, cut, trim, and shave hair using professional equipment
- Apply a wide range of hair coloring basic and advanced techniques, like highlights, ombre and balayage
- Style hair, including blowouts, curls, braids, ponytails, and updos
- Create hairstyles for formal events and everyday looks, including braids, ponytails, and buns
- Apply hair treatment products, as needed (e.g. color protection creams and hydrating masks)
- Educate clients and promote other salon services
- Emphasize professional hair product benefits and assist clients in the selection of retail products for their hair care needs
- Consult clients and advise them of home hair care needs
- Form bonds with loyal customers and remember their hairstyle preferences
A hairstylist, in addition to these regular activities like cutting hair, may from time to time be required to fulfill other tasks not generally associated just with the cutting and styling of hair.
- Watch out for the safety and health of clients by applying standards of the hair salon and legal regulations
- Maintain hygiene and cleanliness in the salon (e.g. sterilize tools)
- Schedules clients, cancel by the request of clients, and assures customers that they will receive adequate service on time
- Assist with salon inventory management
- Proactively develop new clients
Do not miss our post on hair stylist insurance.
Hair Stylist Qualifications
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- An active cosmetology license in [state] is required
- An active natural hair stylist license in [state] is preferred
- [number] years of experience as a hairstylist
- Knowledge of products sold by the salon
- Ability to adapt to the usage of salon software, online booking systems
- Exhibit basic computer skills
- Maintain and improve technical knowledge by attending educational courses, workshops, following new fashion trends etc.
We also recommend you check out our post on Salon Staff Interview Questions.
Hair Stylist Skills
- Passionate about the hairdressing industry and keen to learn from experienced stylists and technicians
- Impeccable grooming and impressive customer service skills
- Create the best customer experience for clients within the salon and via the telephone if handling telephone calls
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Excellent verbal communication skills with customers
- Excellent prioritization skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask between different tasks at hand while working under pressure during busy periods
Do not miss our post on How to Hire a Hair Stylist.
Other Roles Within a Hair Salon
- Salon Owner
- Salon Manager
- Creative Director
- Salon Apprentice
- Salon Assistant
- Senior Hair Stylist
- Hair Salon Receptionist
- Salon Co-ordinator
- Assistant Hair Stylist
Add your comments below.
Do not miss our post on hair stylist business cards.
Pamela's place: Power and negotiation in the hair salon
Work less, live more? Critical analyses of the work-life boundary
Customer satisfaction with services: putting perceived value into the equation